Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley
Click on this map to open Michael Angerman's detailed map showing my current location. There, you can pan and zoom.. Thanks Michael

Monday, April 1, 2013

A night in a Fort





Today was a perfect day for riding through Texas.  Although the road had no shoulder, it also had almost nobody, and wind was on my back.












I stopped at Brackettville this afternoon and rode just out of town to Fort Clark.  Established in1852 and expanded during the fort-building era of the 1870’s, the sprawling military village is built of limestone blocks and marching boots.  The old fort is no longer a military base, having been converted to a resort. 










Golf course at Fort Clark

My room at Fort Clark
It makes a person wonder how it could ever have been a military base.  A big open green at its center serves as a small golf course, and quaint stone buildings circle the green.  A river runs through it, and a swimming pool gathers water from the river and provides cool refreshment for the soldiers who once trained here, and now for local school children and visitors like me.  I will sleep tonight in former officers quarters.  I think Fort Clark was always a resort, formerly for soldiers, now for travelers. 

13 comments:

  1. I thought it odd that no one had commented when you seem to have had a wonderful ride on (correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm sure you will)your birthday. I don't imagine enlisted men played golf in the 20th century, nor swam in a cement pond. In any case, happy birthday- may the years ahead seem longer than the ones behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dalton. It was a birthday gift to have perfect riding conditions on that special day. Thank you for noticing.

      Delete
  2. Ah but we've been so busy celebrating her birthday, Dalton... you know that. I've never posted that many times about anybody's birthday in the world! Now she's even a fool "prompt" on Tanka Poets on Site. It seems many people read the blog and then write privately. Maybe we have scared them all off? But I know Sharon loves to have a party right here on the blog, so here we go! I'm glad you are in a "resort" and starting your year off right, in the officers' quarters, Sharon. Beautiful sky and bird, and no sign of a hurricane. Almost nobody on the road... this all sounds good. I hope tomorrow continues on as beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is 70 degrees outside as I write this in morning darkness from inside the fort. Wind is from the east, and the cold mornings of early in this trip are certainly gone. It promises to be a fine ride to Del Rio. There is a motel waiting there, and a train station, and beyond lies the great west Texas plane where wind is famous for coming hard from the southwest, not a good direction.

      Delete
    2. I like this talk of trains and planes... I think you are just teasing us. xoxox (or writing about the plains in the dark...)Nice to have a warm morning... hope it does not get too much hotter though!

      Delete
  3. Happy slightly belated birthday Sharon! It's great to see the winds were at your back and there was no shortage of friends along the way. The clouds were ecstatic and the bird in the tree kept a lookout for all your birthday wishes on the wind. Wish I could trade places with you. What a grand life.

    x
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can Lois, my place in the world of wind is about to become vacant. I see the dark forces of West Texas and am about to turn the other way.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday Sharon!
    best wishes,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, happy wanderer.
    Best wishes,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. oops. pardon the repeat...haven't quite got the hang of this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have got the hang of better things than blogs, Liz. I can teach you blogging in ten minutes. How long can you teach me dancing, fiddling, and sitting under trees?

      Delete
  7. Mayo el viento esté en su señora posterior, preciosa de la bicicleta.

    I hope it didn't come out sounding as naughty as it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and because you said it, the wind was at my back today, you naughty boy. I love the control you have over me.

      Delete