Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley
Click on this map to open Michael Angerman's detailed map showing my current location. There, you can pan and zoom.. Thanks Michael

Monday, May 12, 2014

Rising from the Desert


West of Brawley and El Centro lies a windy sand-stinging desert.  It may not sting bare legs every day, but on Mother’s Day strong wind came from the north as I was riding west, driving sand into my right side.  I could not see the sun through clouds of sand.  Shown in the picture on the left, I saw something that might have been a mile away.  In the right picture its form began to materialize.  (Incidentally, you can click on any picture to make it bigger.) 




Its shape finally emerged, and its sign said “USG” which I later looked up as United States Gypsum, maker of drywall and joint compound.  I rested in the wind-shadow of its huge building.  








Ocotillo Motel
After USG, the road turned southwesterly, directing a component of the wind to my back.  Its speed picked up as streaks of blowing sand crossed the road and my legs at forty-five degrees.  It was a great pleasure to see the little town I was striving for and to get inside the old Ocotillo Motel, which has terrible reviews on TripAdvisor.  I found it just fine and think some people simply want too much.  



I had a great hill to climb today if I wanted to get above the desert and into the hill country that would eventually bring an end to this adventure in El Cajon.  So I started early, and turned pedals to the turning of wind generators in early light.








The only way out is via I-8, up 3,000 feet, with cars and trucks.  I thought that odd building high on a hill in the left picture was interesting when zoomed in on the right.










I came to Jacumba on Historic Old Highway 80 and peered into Mexico, which in some places was just a few hundred feet away.  That dark line across the pictures is the border fence.  









Who knows the sophistication of the sensors that must be lurking that foreboding fence. They say we need to seal the border, but I can’t imagine anyone getting through this.  











I am in Boulevard tonight, and will ride to El Cajon tomorrow where the trip ends.  This may be the last posting on this blog.  I thank all of you who have followed and wish you good adventuring in whatever form you travel. 

13 comments:

  1. Amazing....amazing! It's wonderful you have been able to do this and are "almost home"! Looking forward to celebrating! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems too soon. Like I haven't suffered enough. In trepidation I began. I should end in exultation.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back to the Golden State. I haven't been able to keep up, you've been moving too fast. Also, deposition and dealing with phone issues for Angie has kept me very busy. Hope to read up to have some tough questions for you by the time of your salon. You are so inspiring! Makes me want to take my bike to work (in the back of my car, of course!). See you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ask the tough questions, Dalton, they are my favorites.

      Delete
  3. Welll done, Sharon! Well ridden and well written. Like Kathabela, I am amazed at what you have done and the grace with which you have done it.
    We look forward to seeing you on Friday. Libation awaits.
    Let us not forget to send a note of thanks to the heroic bike man who saved the day, and possibly the trip. THANKS, TIM HANUS!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Libations with friends on returning from a long journey, what could be nicer!

      Delete
  4. hi, sorry for being late

    Did you get the name of the round tower?

    Thanks

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I did -- http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/9178

    Desert View Tower Jacumba, California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it. I did not go up there but only admired it from the road below.

      Delete
  6. Hello, Sharon, I returned from my Utah trip and tonight I had some sleepless moments and decided to catch up on your trip since I didn't get to follow your blog while you were en route. Phew! Tired enough now to go to sleep after venturing with you. I particularly love the pix of the many places your bike was parked and I so enjoyed your interactions with friendly people along the way (especially Nancy.) Okay, here's a semi-synopsis of what I gleaned from your journey.

    ". . . all this vastness I’d be pedaling over the next several weeks, made me gulp. They look brutal, those deserts. Even I asked why.

    I led a limping horse into town, finding the livery open, and a veterinarian who sings country with his hands in the horse’s innards. And he didn’t even rip me off when he could have.

    I am amazed at all the poets who consider this odd journey as good fodder for poems. I seem so removed from normal life, yet they find something to relate to.

    The magical place I stayed seemed somehow ordinary after the hard ride that drained away normal thinking and plunged me into a mirage, like cool water on the desert.

    Boundaries between self and world dissolve. The movement of clouds and my movement merge and become parts of the same flow.

    I find satisfaction in dealing with something as neatly bounded and cozily finite as a bicycle where everything has a place and I know where it is.

    easier it is
    with the wind
    to pedal one hundred miles
    than thirty
    against it

    I like the feeling of being the first one awake in the morning; it makes you daring somehow.

    . . . out here, I perceive the positive in nearly every moment, something I fail to do in life at home.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Junnie,
      Wow, you not only went through the blog, front to back, you picked up on, and gave back to me, many of the highlights. Reading your review is like reliving the past six weeks in dream where highlights pop back from a past that already seems fading from current reality. Your “sleepless” time is my dream time.

      I did a talk and picture show at Kathabela’s last evening, and will do it again for many who missed it. Due to your distance from most of the group, we might consider your plans and when you might be in town. Please give some ideas if you are interested. Love, Sharon

      Delete
  7. Thanks ffor your marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you may be a great author.I will make
    certain tto bookmark your blog and will eventually come back down the road.
    I wawnt to encourage yourself to continue your great job, have a nice
    evening!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Howdy! This iss mmy irst visit to your blog! We are a group
    of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche.
    Your blog provided us useful information to work on. You have done a marvellous job!

    ReplyDelete