Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley
Click on this map to open Michael Angerman's detailed map showing my current location. There, you can pan and zoom.. Thanks Michael

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Florida’s Farming Midsection





I found just one small store today—no café or town—and the store did not even have coffee or a table where old men sit and welcome incoming cyclists.







“I can brew half-a-pot if you want some,” said the proprietor.






Then he surprised me with, “You’re on the Southern Tier.”  Yes I was, and he’s the first to notice.  For most of today, I followed a route mapped by Adventure Cycling Club, and had expected to find other cyclists also on the Southern Tier Route.

“I followed it about halfway from Daytona and haven’t seen a single biker.”

“There used to be more.  Guess they’re getting soft.”

“It’s winter.  Do you see more in summer?”

“Summer’s too hot.  Now’s the time we used to see them.  They all stop here.”

“I can see why.  It’s the best place in town.”

I was his only customer for half an hour, then finished a fifty-mile day in the farming and railroad town of Live Oak.  I found a second-floor room in a cheap, but adequate motel.  I have internet, heat, and a shower for thirty-five dollars.  I need no more.

9 comments:

  1. Well you and the woodpecker...is that what it is(?) seem quite content, and have your own lovely style. I love that photo beak and headdress, probably similar to your bike helmet... I think you need to add feathers to yours. Mmmm internet, heat and a shower, I think you need some dinner... hopefully you are in food country (or town) with some wine for dinner? I'm happy you can write and share. You'll miss a salon tomorrow with fund-drive listening party seasoned with Neil McCarthy we hope and other dear poet friends... and Scout's arriving tonight from NY - I'll show him your blog, I am sure he will appreciate your adventures! I love the distant view of the bird followed by the close. And the reflective waters... is that red speck near the center of the watery photo the bird's headdress or your bike helmet reflected? (Is it red, your helmet?) I can't remember. Why do you think the Southern Tier is so deserted?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not noticed the red spot in the pond. It is surely not my helmet. The sun reflects near the red spot and it might be an effect of that very bright spot.

    Yes, the bird is a very loud woodpecker who pecked in one place long enough for me to find him and zoom in.

    I don't know why the Southern Tier is vacated of bicyclists, perhaps it is too early for them. I debated starting so early, fearing cold weather. But it has not been too cold so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the woodpecker. Maybe it is his loudness that is reflected as a red spot in the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because of Woody Woodpecker, the bird seems mischievous. I've never seen it close. I love the photo of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard him beating his beak against a tree from quarter mile away. Otherwise I'd not have found him.

      Delete
  5. Hi Sharon. Thanks for the tree photos. Can't have too many. Is it springtime where you are? More details, please about the store with no town...
    We are enjoying your trip, Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not springtime, Liz. Thirty degrees sometimes in the morning, frost on the grass. No internet last evening in Monticello; but here in Tallahassee I'm settled in for two nights and strongly connected.

      The store on which you want details is on the Ichetucknee River, where in the summer, the man who made me half a pot of coffee rents kayaks and tubes and says over and over again, "No, there are no alligators here." But in the winter he lights the wood stove and keeps warm, and kept me warm for a very welcome break from the frost.

      Delete
  6. Thank goodness for half a pot of coffee. Clean bed, shower and internet notwithstanding...., Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have forgotten concerts and poetry readings, but I will not forget that warm store and a half pot of coffee.

      Delete