Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley
Click on this map to open Michael Angerman's detailed map showing my current location. There, you can pan and zoom.. Thanks Michael

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Pedaling Again




Canada  2009
If you become a ghost to all who know you, how do you stand the loneliness?  The question haunts me in all its varied forms spoken to myself and by friends who wish me well, but who wonder why I do this.  I am off to tour the southern states on a bicycle—aloof and self-sufficient, unbusy and unemployed, a tramp.  Some say I am wildly incautious, others say brave, but they are wrong.

I will travel mostly on recognized bicycle routes and should not be the only one there.  I may see them first in the little mirror attached to my glasses.  They will pull alongside with friendly words.  We will not have met, but they are not strangers, rather members of a small cadre who pedal long distances and find our abnormality enough to start conversation.  From within their groups they will say, “Traveling alone?”  But it will not be a question, for out there in broad open spaces, they already know I am traveling alone, and they wonder why. 

Perhaps I will see a spec in my mirror, which could be anything.  Half an hour later I make out the verticality of piston-like leg motion.  A cyclist a little faster than me, maybe pushing to catch up.  With that pleasant thought I pull off the road and feign resting under a tree. 

Sometimes, in a small town on one of my long rides, a waitress has felt sorry for me.  I have seen it in the way she pours coffee and lingers to talk, as to one who has no friends.  But I have been surrounded by a small number of friends, kept safe by generous people with a pattern of kindness, people who have given me the benefit of the doubt.  Some of them still visible, will be standing at distance, living lives in California.  I ask them not to worry and to try for understanding.



In 2007 I rode across America through its midsection, and in 2009 I pedaled Canada, its western half.  Those routes are shown on the above map.  On this trip I will explore the back lanes of the South, unheralded corners or America.  This ride is not a sprint, but a marathon—like life.  When I am old, I believe I would rather wish I had not gone than wish that I had.

Tentative Schedule
2/13/13 Fly with the bicycle to Daytona Beach, Fl
3/21/13 Navasota, Tx
4/11/13 Ft. Davis, Tx
4/21/13 Silver City, Nm
5/11/13 San Diego, Ca

21 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm strapped in and ready to ride! Looking very forward to the journey. Bon Voyage et bonne chance! Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes, Lois, wishing me good luck. But for your part, please do not strap in, but be ready to fly.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to our ongoing conversations dear Sharon... I don't question your travels, adventure is exciting and the unknown opens the mind to wonder. We do this too, in our own way and so feel quite in tune. Look forward to our conversations along the way. I always feel very much a part of your journey because we keep talking, as if you were still here, but with new views. Thank you for making sure to keep online as uch as you can, and in good spirits, love and excited about yout trip~ Kathabela and Rick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, again we travel together, it will be fun.

      Delete
  3. Sharon,thanks for sharing about your journey. What an adventure! I wish you the best. :) Blessings--Lisa Marie Sandoval

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I just saw your post...So happy to be going along with you!

    Best of Luck!

    Stevie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just checking in to see if you have started yet, looking forward to our trip across the southern US.
    Your Counter Buddy Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Greg, I started today and rode from Daytona Beach to Palatka, a distance of 57 miles. Nice you can ride along beside, figuratively.

      Delete
  6. Wow it looks like we are having a great time. Everything is so pretty and green. What kind of bird is that very pretty.
    CB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A woodpecker. I heard him beating his beak against a tree from quarter mile away. Otherwise I'd not have found him.

      Delete
  7. Looks like we are have a great time, even in the rain. All ahead steam Woooo Wooooo!!
    CB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain becomes a way of life after you get used to it, like a lot of things.

      Delete
  8. WOW! You have come a long ways, that fire didn't look like fun to ride pass. I can't believe that you are in Mississippi all ready. Stay safe. CB

    ReplyDelete
  9. The smoke was not too bad, as most things aren't. I am in Louisiana now at a small town called Franklinton. Not a peep from Debbie; I hope she is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't seen Debbie in sometime, the last time I talked to her she was doing good. She is unhappy with the place that she lives, she says they don't fix anything. I asked her if she was following you trip she said she hadn't been, she would and would send you a note. That was about 2 weeks ago or so. Take care your counter buddy Greg, CB

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sharon, wow it looks like you are having a great time beautiful pic's. I love the court house building. I saw Debbie today she didn't talk to anyone, I found out from Diane, Tresa's mother that she is getting kicked out of her apartment for not paying her rent. Diane said that Johnny her son was asked to move Debbie, Debbie told Johnny she was getting kicked out. She has not paid her rent because she said the landlord needs to fix some stuff in the apt. and hasn't done so. Debbie says she is going to sue the landlord. Your Counter Buddy, CB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to hear about Debbie. Please send me an email with these personal items. I am happy that you are here watching the blog.

      Delete
  12. Sorry, new to this blog stuff. Will send email next time. CB

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful tree, and I love your line on it makes you feel good. You are seeing some great things. Did you get Tresa message. I have been forwarding you emails to her, she said she sent you one yesterday but was not sure you got it. CB

    ReplyDelete