Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley
Click on this map to open Michael Angerman's detailed map showing my current location. There, you can pan and zoom.. Thanks Michael

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pleasures in Rain

Harrican River

Today was the first day of riding in the rain.  Hard rain at times, but mostly gentle and not cold, not unpleasant.  Not after an hour of learning that riding in rain is wet and wet is normal, the way life is. 

An old pickup was parked at the bridge over the Harrican River and I wondered if someone could be fishing in the rain.  It’s Saturday after all and fisherman are known for tenacity in the drowning of worms.  I stopped and looked down on the muddy water flowing past me at the pace a slow walker.  And there he was on a little island baiting a hook.





“What ya fissin’ for?” I called with an affected southern voice, trying to sound normal.

“C’fish” he said without looking at me.

“What?”

“Catfish.”

“How big do they get?” 

“Pretty big.”  He seemed bored with my query and never looked my way.  As I left him, wiping rain off my glasses with my index finger, I supposed that fishing must be his greatest joy, greater than conversation with one who might also do something for joy, even in the rain.  Perhaps he hopes for the gleam in a special someone’s eye when he lays a big catfish out for inspection.







They look like flowering trees, cherry blossoms in the springtime perhaps.  Even in the rain they are lovely.  But on close view, it’s a kind of moss, like Spanish moss, but more shapely, hanging on bare tree limbs.  












I rode into Chattahoochee, a run-down town where most of the stores on main street are vacant.  Even this cornfield on the edge of town as been left with the ears to rot.  I was happy to get into a motel, unpack and find everything that matters dry.  It’s not like this first rainy day was an experiment; I’ve hit rain many times on other bike trips.  But it’s a good feeling to know it worked again. 







I had cheese grits and baked beans with catfish for dinner and didn’t mind picking out the bones.  A man at the next table wore a shirt imprinted with “FAMU Rattlers” (Florida A&M University).  His shoulders were twice as wide as mine.  Black hair in short thin braids bristled on his dark head.  His weight must be four times mine.  “Local catfish,” he said.

Riding in the rain improves many things in life—the taste of food, the luxury of a hot shower, the comfort of sleep.  I know you all can’t enjoy these pleasures as I have.  I feel braggadocios in telling you what a pleasure this evening is, like a rich person bragging on her money.   I wish that when it rains again you could all enjoy it with me.
_________________________________________________________________________

Go to http://goo.gl/maps/e2fS5 for an interactive map showing the places I have slept and intend to sleep.  Thanks to Michael Angerman for preparing and updating this map.  He plans to keep it current, based on information he gleans here on the blog.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon, it's easy to imagine the simple enduring pleasures and qualities of the journey and its rewards, as you describe it so well. It was an interesting parallel... you riding solo and the fishing loner on a little island. Then in the end, maybe you had his catfish for dinner... I think I had a miniature feeling like that when I walked back from bellydance this morning. The class is necessarily earlier than most people would like especially on a cold morning here (to our standards) but once I was on my way and dancing it didn't matter. Only Elizabeth and Leela there.... and walking home in a bit of sunshine mixed with early morning chill after dancing for an hour felt like a very good thing. Your river looks muddy but your moss looks fresh and graceful. I am happy you can be happy in the rain and enjoy the aftermath!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Miniature feeling" - A still small voice, a premonition, likeness of a big feeling, maybe the beginning revised thinking, an invention, a muse. Maybe it's because of miniature feelings that you don't have to go after rainy wet kick-in-the-rear feelings.

      Delete
  2. Dear Sharon, i am delighted that you are enjoying our, i mean your adventure, but i have to say No Thanks to the offer of a rainy adventure. No No No thank you i simply couldn't find joy in that, but of course, am delighted that you do, and that you tell us about it. Gotta go, time for wine, and food, and i just had a hot shower...... all unearned, but appreciated. Love you, Sharon, even when we give you a hard time. Thanks for giving us so much to talk about. Looking forward to seeing you home again. Speaking of which, your place looks fine. xo Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are Liz, using Kathabela's name. Wish I could do that. I think three no's in a row make you point, but really, Liz, the shower felt good. And thanks for looking after the place.

      Delete
    2. Yes, i'm still me. would like to change that, but i can't. Thinking of you and sending good vibrations from California,
      Liz

      Delete
    3. Please don't change being you; the vibrations would be all wrong.

      Delete
  3. I envy you, Sharon. I'm trying to imagine your effort and reward, and somehow, I feel a little participating in this trip. That moss looks like coming out of a science fiction. I wish I had the same thing you had for dinner though. I love catfish, and never had cheese grit. I'm sure I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never had cheese grit either, and the waitress thought me daft when I asked what it is. You just mix in some grated cheese as you cook the grits. It's very good.

      Delete