Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley
Click on this map to open Michael Angerman's detailed map showing my current location. There, you can pan and zoom.. Thanks Michael

Friday, April 11, 2014

Border Crossings



It was a calm morning with a comforting primordial smell.  The few lights of Langtry diminished in the tiny mirror attached to my glasses as I rode west in darkness.  The moonless sky glittered with tiny lights in the otherwise absence of light, except for my headlight glowing on the pavement ahead and my flashing red light warning drivers approaching behind.  But there were few drivers, and most of them in big trucks, the most courteous I’ve found.  Within an hour, the great light began its glow behind me, and I turned back often to bathe in it. 

     at the top
     of the hill
     stopping to gaze back
     behind me
     the day's ride
            poem by Benita Kape on facebook—tanka poets on site


Along the sixty miles that I pedaled to Sanderson, stands hardly a structure—a few distant ranch buildings, a few windmills, and a tiny store in a place they call a town, Dryden.  Most of what I saw is typified in these two pictures.  On the left is what drivers see; on the right is the way it looks when I lay the bike down for a rest. 






These vultures may have
crossed the nearby border
with Mexico.  Their passports? -
Wild Innocence
An advantage of riding slowly on the shoulder is that I sometimes catch a glimpse that drivers miss.  So it was that under a mesquite tree, this lovely flowering cactus.  Of course, drivers see the vultures eating last night’s rabbit-kill, but the birds are gone before they can get a picture. 












Art by Gary Blankenship
I feel as if floating through Texas in a blur of imaginary things that are floating past me.  The miles roll on into the hot afternoon; mind drains to feed the legs.  Thoughts turn to images as I drink water, happy to have its life-sustaining flow. 









Danny, Manager of Budget Inn
Sanderson arrived at about four in the afternoon to a cowgirl on a tired horse.  I didn’t come with high hopes for a good night, after the marginal motels in Comstock and Langtry—Comstock did not have running water, and Langtry was just dirty.  I rode to the Budget Inn, and there standing in yard, I met Danny, the manager.  He showed me a room that had everything that matters—wifi, non-smoking room, air conditioning, ensuite bath, and running water.  The price was so low and I was so tired that I took it for two nights.  





Danny said there is only one tiny store in Sanderson, and that the only restaurant is seldom open.  Since the store was over a mile away and hard to find, he said he would drive me there.  He talked as he drove, of this little desert town, said that most businesses have closed.  “I am vegetarian,” he said in a heavy accent, “My mother and I order our Indian food mostly through the mail.”  I told him that I love Indian food, the spicier the better.  After some conversation, he asked if I’d like to join them for dinner.  One thing about the work of turning pedals all day it that you do get hungry, and it didn’t take me long to say yes.  But what he meant was that he would bring his mother’s home cooked Indian food to my room.  The food was good, andI thanked him profusely when he came back to get the dishes.

Danny is not a Texan in the usual way, not a beefeater or smoker, does not pack as far as I know, and has no drawl.  But his Texas hospitality is unsurpassed.  It is morning now, and he knocked on my door to ask if I would like some Indian Breakfast.

I have been riding near the Mexican border for three days now, and some thoughts come to mind about border crossings.  The vultures I saw yesterday may have crossed the border, and Danny surely crossed borders in coming here.  Plant seeds blow from one side to the other.  Clouds and butterflies fly back and forth.  All have something to declare, and what they bring might not be duty-free.  Nothing respects borders except us.  International boundary and cultural boundary, a boundary between earth and self.  Maybe the erasure of a boundary, of distinction, comes about in the way the distinction between prose and haiku is erased in haibun.

Rio Grande River
the boundary
bound to my side
and yours
bound for the ocean

If you followed me last year from Florida to Del Rio, Texas, you probably remember the map prepared by Michael Angerman.  He plotted my course each day as I rode.  And he is doing it again this time.  You can zoom and pan on his map and see where I have been and what is near me.   http://goo.gl/maps/e2fS5   

4 comments:

  1. they call a town - love that

    and the blog text and pics

    I can find a tanka in the whole lot of not nothing

    Wiki says Marathon has a high end hotel - hoping
    cause it beats no water

    Smiles Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary, you have researched my trip almost as much as I have. The Gage Hotel in Marithon is indeed high end, too high for me. I’ll stay at the hippie commune there. Thanks for the all the attention this trip has received.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post Sharon and love that you felt and included Benita's from Tanka Poets on Site. So wonderfully mirroring your look back... Love the skies... Your trip has been worthwhile already, considering the warmth and helpfulness shown to you by individuals... the lovely Indian hospitality found in a small Texan town... I love it. I gave a prompt using the cave drawing last night ... so Tanka Poets will be sharing your vision... and adding their own... It is great to be able to share your trip and love that Michael is along with us again. ~ getting ready not to go to Caltech Poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed at all the poets who consider this odd journey as good fodder for poems. I seem so removed from normal life, yet they find something to relate to.

      Delete