Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley
Click on this map to open Michael Angerman's detailed map showing my current location. There, you can pan and zoom.. Thanks Michael

Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Rising Wind



I have done enough of these long bicycle treks to observe patterns in the ways they develop.  The first few days are for getting in shape and for arranging all my things so that everything has a known place and is accessible according when I might need it—day things, evening things, emergency things.  Eventually, there comes a time, perhaps on the fifth day out, when a rhythm settles in.  I’ve been gliding along, taking in whatever lies along the view—the lightning-shape of mesquite branches, the shapes of sharp deterrents on barbed wire fences at the right-of-way lines, for example.  And I’m caught up in the cadence of my feet on the pedals, unaware of any conscious thought about it all, perhaps like a mantra brings meditation.



Boundaries between self and world dissolve.  The movement of clouds and my movement merge and become parts of the same flow.  Some call it oneness, for there is suddenly no you that exists apart from the world around you.  And as soon as I start to describe it, as if trying to measure both the position and momentum of a quantum particle, my separateness returns, and I lose the thing I began to describe. 


Gage Hotel in Marathon
Famous Burro Restaurant in Marathon
I find satisfaction in dealing with something as neatly bounded and cozily finite as a bicycle where everything has a place and I know where it is.  So it was that for three days I ignored the wind and settled into conditioning for the long haul, either because the wind was non-existent, weak, or coming from behind.  But on the fourth day, the sixty-mile stretch from Sanderson to Marathon, a span of desert without shade or habitation, save an occasional distant ranch house,  the wind came forcefully to my attention.  Coming from the west, it slowed my speed to half.  Pedaling on the level seemed like uphill.  I dragged into Marathon, slid into a chair in the Famous Burro and ordered coffee and food, then nearly fell asleep before the drug took affect.



I still had a short ride out of town to an interesting-sounding place I’d heard about and hoped to spend the night. La Loma del Chivo (Knol of the kid?) is an eclectic assortment of buildings, chickens, dropouts, and an energetic host, Ingrid.  I had called her the day before, told her of my pedaling, to which she said, sure, come and stay, no charge.  




She showed me around and explained that all the buildings are made out of papercrete—Portland cement and paper mixed together like concrete, but much lighter weight.  I stepped inside one of the buildings and it must have been ten degrees cooler inside.  It’s the insulating effect of the papercrete, she said.







She put me up in this little house trailer that hasn’t trailed in many years.  I used my own sleeping bag and was quite comfortable.  I could have stayed in a larger building with some of the others, but when I told them I wanted to get up at 5am to try and beat the wind, their expressions directed me back to the trailer.  






In a pit under this dome building is a tree, or what used to be a tree.  There’s a stairway going down, and the inside is otherwise mostly vacant. It must have been used for some ceremony or ritual, but nobody seems sure.  I have slept in an assortment of quarters on this trip so far and have no complaints about this one. 

5 comments:

  1. Sharon, you describe perfectly a place where we all want to be, where there "is no you that exists apart from the world around you." It is a rare place, and I delight in your ability to experience it. It is somewhere beyond wonderful. It just is. I know exactly what you mean, and have been there a few times. Each time i head for the hills i hope to get there, and occasionally do, for just a few moments. We each have ways to get there.
    We are glad you have found yours.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Liz, there are rewards for losing control, for giving it all up to the legs, just so I can make it to a bed and not have to camp on the desert. The reward is a semi-conscious state where thoughts meander and poems settle like mirages in the sand.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful story you've told, just incredible photos... you are inspiring many poets with your adventures and endurance! Such a story of arrival in Marathon against the wind...then going on...to enter that magical looking community, unusual and otherworldly it's oddness and fantasy somehow truly appropriate to your journey.. I love the strangeness and contrasts... you really have encountered the unusual and unexpected nature of the places there... and people,,, which could only be known by the slow pace and close to the earth perspective the bike trip you are on. Very eye-opening in so many ways.. thank you for the sharing and all the work involved in doing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathabela, The magical place I stayed seemed somehow ordinary after the hard ride that drained away normal thinking and plunged me into a mirage, like cool water on the desert. “otherworldly it's oddness and fantasy.” Thanks for your insights.

      I write this from Alpine, where I am taking a day of rest. Yesterday was another hard push into the wind. I can’t do much more of that. If it’s more than 30 miles and headwind is greater than 15mph, then I doubt if I can make it. And most of the distances between habitations are greater than 30 miles. I seem attached to and governed by the whims of the wind.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete