Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley
Click on this map to open Michael Angerman's detailed map showing my current location. There, you can pan and zoom.. Thanks Michael

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Valley of the Rio Grande


Morning came cloudy, if you can call it morning before it’s light enough not to need battery-powered lights.  The gibbous moon shone through a hole in the clouds. 

Undulant wind--gusts flavors
away into hands of light.  Slow
blaze of [sunrise] throws spears
up from the sea. 
     Russell Salamon—Parallel Voyages 51    







After eighteen miles of easy riding with hardly a car to interrupt my solitude, I came to the town of Tornillo, which stretches from the river up to Road 20, from Mexico to American farms.  I rode south through the town, nearly to the border with its high fence, and came back to the café, where no English is spoken.  Ironically, all the signs in this little Spanish town are in English.  My poco espanol got me a good breakfast and suspicious looks.  Is she undercover border patrol?








Most of the traffic is either farm tractors or farm blackbirds as I pedal toward El Paso.













In Fabens I met a Spanish-speaking man on a bicycle who asked me where I came from and where was I going.  I gave him the place names, and he grinned broadly.  We were stopped in front of this barred-up building, which he told me was the café of his mother, Noreen.  He stared fondly at it as he said, “Good times then, mas bicicletas, now nada.  Sometime I ride to California” 




Honey, did you water the lawn?
No, but I flooded the pecans
I don’t think you should have done that.









This evening I am on the north edge of El Paso, trying to miss most of its traffic.  A thunderstorm just broke loose over the Motrel6, and I am happy not to be out on the road. 


One small objective I have set for this endeavor is to lose ten pounds.  The easy way would be to eat as usual and use up the flab with pedaling.  I am neither dietitian nor athlete, but I know when I am hungry, and I usually know what I’m hungry for.  I just returned from a Chinese buffet restaurant where I had three heaping plates, and they lost money.  I’m not sure this objective will be met.

8 comments:

  1. lost money that is funny Good for a couple of tanka tomorrow. Best of luck in New Mexico

    Smiles Hary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Hary, wish I knew who you are, probably on Tanka Poets on site.

      Delete
    2. Sorry this is Gary - tired when I did that
      will send the new tanka after I write todays

      Smiles

      Delete
  2. I enjoy listening to the conversation and imagining each scene you describe. It's like an American version of the Tosa Diary by Kino Tsurayuki Ki no Tsurayuki (紀 貫之, 872 – 945). I'll post it on my FB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read some about it at http://www.geocities.co.jp/Berkeley/3508/kinotsurayuki.html Basho was impressed, and he too was a lone traveler, as I am these days, the loneness of traveling solo must have been for them as it is for me. Thanks, Keiko, for this observation.

      Delete
  3. All your photos here have holes in the clouds I think, the first with the deepest glow... the others blue to white and the last leaked lots of water I think well... at least the holes are reflected in the water.. an unusual sight for trees I think... Yes, I am glad Keiko mentioned this and there is such a long amazing tradition of lone travelers and their stories. The sharing, artistically, with pictures and words, as you and they have done is especially wonderful... we are all lone travelers in a sense... even into our own inner worlds and our poems tell those stories. Smiles into your journey and thank you for the sharing of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a cloudy day and a few sprinkles came to keep me cool. I think the flooded front yard was from irrigation of the pecan trees, as saw them being flooded from a canal in other places. That evening, however, a fierce thunderstorm dumped and flashed on the motel where I was happily holed-up.

      Delete