Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley
Click on this map to open Michael Angerman's detailed map showing my current location. There, you can pan and zoom.. Thanks Michael

Friday, April 18, 2014

The Other Side of the Desert



From Van Horn, Texas, there’s a straight road heading west, called Interstate 10, and no other road, except in some places, a frontage road along it.  As I rode the frontage, many big rigs passed me on the main highway to my left.  This one, like several others, honked as he passed, and I raised my hand to him, thankful for a little human interaction.





Sierra Blanca is mostly boarded up or falling down.  It’s not the strong community it was when Tom Ellison went to war and returned a hero.  At age eighty-eight, he still opens the big sliding door to his mechanic shop, but doesn’t get much business anymore.  He cuts and polishes rocks for sale there too, and both of his wives wore his jewelry on the ears, their pictures prominently displayed.  His most recent wife died in February, and Tom mopes around the shop, happy for a listening ear, someone whose father made tools like these, and who grew up watching people come with broken things. 







It’s not uncommon to see a holstered handgun in rural Texas, mostly worn by Border Patrol, but also by most anyone.  “The reason al qaeda won’t attack this country is because citizens arm themselves.  We do it legally when we can.”  And then he asked if I carry a gun.  












I left Sierra Blanca, riding past this old house in early light.  Something about it speaks of old ideas about land and habitation, of using local rock, topped with store-bought lumber, keeping warm, and cool, and enjoying the hills and the sunset.  












my shadow
in the morning
I follow it home
it reaches ahead
tugging  










I set out with some fear back in Del Rio when I started onto the west Texas desert, into its vast windy interior, from the place where I gave up last summer.  And today I came to its edge.  In this hazy view, you see the valley of the Rio Grande River, and Mexico beyond.  From here I dropped a thousand feet into farmland, a world apart from the high desert I’d been pedaling for the past ten days.  The monster that defeated me last year is conquered.  










I rode within a mile of the river, and never saw it.  These farms with their families living within sight of Mexico are turning ground, planting cotton, filling their irrigation ditches with water from the Rio Grande.  





the wind is my horse today
he runs through the sky
and over the sand
all the way to the edge
of the great desert.

9 comments:

  1. Hurray! You deafed the monster and lived to tell! Pure poetry on this day's report. I've been too preoccupied with my own writing and have missed your posts so I'll try to catch up over the weekend. I don't know if you saw this as a poem...but I did.

    Sierra Blanca is mostly boarded up or falling down.
    It’s not the strong community it was
    when Tom Ellison went to war

    and returned a hero. At age eighty-eight,
    he still opens the big sliding door
    to his mechanic shop,

    but doesn’t get much business anymore.
    He cuts and polishes rocks for sale there too,
    and both of his wives wore his jewelry on the ears,

    their pictures prominently displayed.
    His most recent wife died in February,
    and Tom mopes around the shop,

    happy for a listening ear, someone whose father
    made tools like these, and who grew up
    watching people come with broken things.

    x Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel happy this evening, Lois, and I guess it shows. But you have made me, not just the happy crosser of a great desert, but a poetic one by the way you rearranged my spacing. I like the way you did that. :)

      Delete
  2. wonderful but curious Gary misses something about Van Horn and the next stop. Two tanka bubbling up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you miss about Van Horn, Gary? Do you have pleasant memories? The next stop was Sierra Blanca. Tonight it's Ft. Hancock.

      Delete
    2. You saying something

      Delete
  3. Sharon,

    I love "the wind is my horse."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, today it was. Other days it was my enemy.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful tanka Sharon, I can feel the tailwind setting them off toward sunset. I love your shadow... how it "reaches ahead / tugging". We all feel that and also "the wind is my horse" the easy and difficult of things... playing tag with each other. Love the pictures too... especially the old house, and also I love
    the story of a man not unlike your father, fixing and polishing the broken things. The "human interaction" has been especially interesting on this trip even though you are mostly alone, and you've really included and depicted it, I think it adds a simultaneous layer to your story... for thought and contrast. I really enjoy that, The detailed descriptions of people and also the landscape with fine examples adds a layer to our thinking here, both about your life and ours. I laughed out loud at the speed limit 80... I know the tail wind won't be that fast --it looks funny there on the open road all by itself...and the old house looks curious - if only the stones could speak its history out of those open doors...but I feel them as smiles from afar...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Kath, for your insight; it makes the trip more enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete