Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley
Click on this map to open Michael Angerman's detailed map showing my current location. There, you can pan and zoom.. Thanks Michael

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The Best of Trouble



Comstock Texas in the Distance


Motel6 in Del Rio
A strong wind from the norhtwest
 at Del Rio
By this morning, I had ridden the train to Del Rio, Texas, had spent two days there waiting for Monday when the UPS office opened so I could retrieved the shipped bicycle, assemble it, and begin the adventure.  I have spent months planning the character of this trip, its form and flavor.  Now, finally, with the bicycle loaded, the reality came to life on a road heading west.  It felt good to be almost on the open desert, my journey underway, panniers loaded with everything I’d need for the six weeks ahead. 




I had tested all the gears, tested the brakes, checked the load and the tires.  All was ready in the morning light.  I shifted down a gear for a little hill on the outskirts of Del Rio, and heard an awful sound.  The bike lurched, and the rear tire stopped turning,  I skidded uncontrollably to a stop, but did not crash.  Leaning the bike onto its side, I saw a contorted jumble of parts on its right rear side where the derailer should be.  On looking closely, it could not be worse.  The bracket, which holds the derailer in place, had broken and had plunged the whole mechanism that shifts the gears into the spokes.  Friends, this is like having your transmission explode on the Pasadena Freeway. 






I can fix many things that go wrong with a bicycle, and I have an assortment of spare parts.  But this a trip stopper!  Mangled drailer part were tangled with broken spokes, which only a bicycle repairman having the right parts could fix.



Bicycle Shop in Del Rio
The man Who Save Me
I was only a mile from the motel, and knew there was a bike shop about three miles behind me  in Del Rio.  So I removed some of the broken parts, to allow the rear wheel to turn. Riding was impossible.  Then I walked the bike to the bike shop.  The man took one look and said he’d seen it all before; parts just break sometimes  The problem might be finding the right replacements.  He rummaged about and came up with a new derailer that would work, but not with my shifter—that’s the little lever on the handlebar that I press to change gears.  He rummaged some more and found a used derailer that would work.  Then with more sorting through old and new parts, he came up with a bracket to replace the one that had broken and had caused everything else to break.  “I can do it,” he said, “and you are lucky that I have time to do it.”  He worked on my bicycle for three hours, replacing spokes, truing the wheel, adjusting the derailer.


Perhaps you don’t realize how fortuitous all this was—how improbable.  The next bike shop is in Alpine, 220 miles from Del Rio.  I only had to walk three miles!  The shop was open, with a man who knows how, and who had the parts, and the time, and talked congenially while I waited, and who sang along with the country music on his CD.  And he charged me only ninety dollars, parts and labor.  It was the best of trouble.


Comstock, Texas
Comstock, Texas
I was late leaving Del Rio, and arrived late in Comstock.  The only motel took me in, and the only restaurant/bar was still open.  Texans sat at the bar and smoked while I ate chicken fried steak.

What a beginning!  


13 comments:

  1. Sharon,

    What a beginning! You're so lucky. I think this is a good luck! I hope the rest of the trip is smooth.

    Best,

    Keiko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Keiko, good fortune and good trouble. When looked back on, it looks good.

      Delete
  2. Sharon, lucky indeed - everything seemed to go your way. and you ended the day with chicken fried steak. Best of luck for the rest of the trip.

    Smiles.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sharon! What an adventure, and what a relief that the bike man was there, available, kind and competent. I agree with Keiko. After a start like that, which ended so well, the trip will be smooth. t was good of your bike to fall apart there and not in the middle of a desert. Spirit of the machine, perhaps. I will write to that fine fellow - oh wait, no idea where stationery is, everything is still in disarray - ok, i will call him and thank him for all of us. It is great to hear that fine people are out there, taking care of you and other wheeled travelers. Stay well, Sharon. We're riding with you.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beginning... I love that you are in country and I could call you! I was beginning to worry. (I know you may not always be reachable because of access... but this was a relief!) There are hundreds of poets now following your journey on Tanka Poets on Site thanks to Gary's prompt yesterday... I have just filed 10 wonderful tanka... perhaps we should post them here for your encouragement? This is a fantastic post, the detail and photos are wonderful. So glad you are alright. What a challenge. And yes, such fortunate circumstances! The repairman's smile --he had a chance to save the day and more! Thank you for the great description and for pedaling on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For all you friends of Sharon out there - the bike shop was Lakeside Sports, 601 Veterans Blvd., Del Rio, TX ZIP Code: 78840

    Phone number: (830) 774-5288
    The young man who helped Sharon is Tim Hanus, he is on Facebook as the only Tim Hanus in Del Rio, email timothy_hanus@yahoo.com.
    He is an ex-Marine, college student, and English-HIstory major, interested in bike travel, and is the manager of Lakeside Sports. He is an aspiring poet. He loves to meet people from all over. He will follow Sharon's blog now.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Liz, you researched and found the very place and the very man. But I hope your announcement does not inundate the poor man with calls and emails. He’s a local boy with a wife and and a quiet settled life in Del Rio. However, if you’re ridin’ through and got a problem with your horse, he’s the man to call.

      Delete
  6. for Sharon

    the gears and spokes
    of love
    head over heels
    "the best of trouble"
    among friends

    ~Kathabela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad I was not head-over-heals, Kath, except in love with the knight who saved me. It could have been very different.

      Delete
  7. Sharon's bike adventure Day 1

    limping into town
    with a horse with one wheel
    the livery open
    the wheel fixed a place to stay
    ending high with chicken fried steak

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Gary, I led a limping horse into town, finding the livery open, and a veterinarian who sings country with his hands in the horse’s innards. And he didn’t even rip me off when he could have.

      Delete
  8. Well, you got that over with...now, on to the fun stuff! So lucky you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Stevie, I feel very lucky to have faced a real trip-stopper and five hours to be back on the road.

      Delete