Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley
Click on this map to open Michael Angerman's detailed map showing my current location. There, you can pan and zoom.. Thanks Michael

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Valley of the Rio Grande

.


I headed northwest from Las Cruces today, not in the direction of home, for that would be along I-10 through desolate Deming, not nearly as interesting as the mountains just a few miles out of the way.  Along the dry Rio Grande, where water can be pumped from shallow wells, land is flat and farmed, but on both sides, bone-dry hills rise like defiant children trying to show that not everyone desires the desired thing—water.  Wind howled from the southwest, hitting me in the face this minute, pushing my back the next.


Rio Grande 
Cottonwood
A staunch old cottonwood beside the dry river digs deep and holds on where most cottonwoods give up and find homes closer to life, closer to water.  Some of us cross the unpopulated desert searching for what most find where life and living things are abundant. 








The town of Hatch, where I rest tonight, bills itself as the Chile Capital of the World and holds a festival each Labor Day in honor of New Mexico’s most celebrated crop.  I rode into town salivating for green chile as it should be—hot and tasty.  There’s no comparison between the upscale Zia CafĂ© in Santa Barbara, which advertises New Mexican food, and the delicious enchiladas-green that I had at Chilitos last night in Las Cruces http://chilitos.net/   But it was not as good in Hatch, and I returned to the motel disappointed. 


Tomorrow evening in Hillsboro, I do not expect to have internet.  It’s a tiny town on the slope leading to Emory Pass (8,228 feet.)  The following day should be a long, steep pedal to Silver City with all the modern conveniences.  See you there.

desiring home
I head not west
but a longer way
for a nicer journey
delayed gratification

11 comments:

  1. Thinking of you as you scale mountains again... you wont' need claws this time at least, only wheels... I hope the long way home is all down-hill and winged... as we look forward to seeing you here, but I certainly understand... your idea... my tanka for our own email calendar today, with plan changes, in tune with yours

    each day
    takes a different shape
    the comfort
    of doing it again
    differently

    lovingly, Kathabela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “All down-hill and winged”???? No claws needed, at least that is true. Each day does take a different shape on this voyage, but at least there is comfort in not doing it always the same. And I will delay the gratification of returning home, by perhaps two days, in order to see the mountains of southern New Mexico. I am expecting to be home earlier than I had projected. It looks now more like May 15.

      Delete
  2. Silver City to 10 doesn't seem far but my map shows lots of ghost towns around Lodsburg, a good place to tourist - though you've been through a few ghost towns..

    good riding...

    Smiles

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of avoiding I-10, heading nw from Silver City, then to Safford, Az, Globe, then the horrible spread of Phoenix, at least it has a bike path through most of it. Until Phoenix, I expect lightly-traveled roads and small towns. Thanks for caring.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anyone who says they have the best of anything had best taste everything before the brag. It's like Anderson's Pea Soup which is mediocre at best but you, having put the best to the test have tasted your way through the chili challenge in Chilitos and found Hatch wanting. Now I have a craving for chile so I guess I'll just chill..... and route for you on the sidelines. The great thing about eathing Mexican food while pedaling...something about organic piston power and a good wind at your back? :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lois, are you in a funny mood? Your poetic trot alongside my day is better than stand-up. "No chile,so I guess I'll just chill." Organic piston power might be the ticket up Emory Pass.

      Delete
    2. Yes I'm in a funny mood! Don't piston me off!

      Groan...I love puns. They make me giggle.

      Delete
  5. You look great in yellow and orange, my favorite colors. People can spot you from far away. That's a good idea, travelling on bike, but that's not the reason I wear the colors. I like them because they look cheerful. I also became hungry for Mexican foods, looking at your plate in the photo. It's almost dinner time here in Yokohama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yellow and orange, bright and cheerful, conspicuous and safe, all good theings.

      Delete