Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley
Click on this map to open Michael Angerman's detailed map showing my current location. There, you can pan and zoom.. Thanks Michael

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Alabama Snowbirds



Having crossed Florida seems like a big accomplishment until I look at the width of Texas.  I crossed into Alabama yesterday and will traverse a small section of its gulf coast before continuing through a small section of Mississippi.  The first thing that hit me after Pensacola was the abrupt change from rural Florida countryside to the lushly developed condominium coast of Alabama.  “Snowbirds Welcome,” reads a sign, and the tall seasonal apartment buildings tell it all. 




If any snowbirds have flown here to escape New England winter, I did not see them on the beach.  Maybe it’s because the air is about 45 degrees and strong wind bears down from the northwest.  I had a hard day just making it through here.  I suppose the snowbirds are holed up in their rooms just like they would be if they had never left the cold north. 








This plant growing in brilliant white sand casts its shadow like a self-portrait—curves resembling its own curved arms, but impressions in two dimensions, painted on canvas.

And this beach house, one of many, stands tall on the gulf shore to let hurricane waves pass below it while its owners fly north (hurricane birds) if such disaster comes again.






I came to the end of land on the south edge of Mobile Bay and crossed to Dauphin Island by ferry.  Strong cold wind pushed against the ferry as we crossed.  












I write this on Sunday Morning from Dauphin Island while the wind still comes hard from the northwest and the air outside my motel in 32 degrees.  I normally start riding early, but not today.  This warm room feels too good, and like the snowbirds, I am holed up until mid-morning when the wind is supposed to reduce to ten miles an hour.










We wishfully call ourselves birds and dream of flying to warm places, but the real birds make do.  They get by in the wind and cold, at least these seem very content riding the breeze.

7 comments:

  1. That's a cold ride. Used to deliver newspapers on my bike in the New York snow, but these days I wimp out on riding if the temperature goes below 55.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can ride when it gets down to 40 degrees and feel fairly comfortable, using all the warm things I brought. If it gets down to 30, then I have a hard time. If the wind is in my face when it is 30, then I need to find a place to get warm.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Tonight I am in Pascagoula, Mississippi. Louisiana is a couple of days away. Do you know a louisianan?

      Delete
  3. Your travels though tough sometimes, give you and all who are you company ... persective on our pasts, our usual lives, and how we take flight and why. Struggling against the weather (I remember the decision as we were slipping down an ice covered hill to somewhere) was something I was tired of on the east coast, and "flew" in a vw bug and w/children in tow away..."discovering" CA where there was more clemency for the activities of my everyday creative life. Mostly this is true here, in Pasadena, and now, especially life has warmed up and there is less to struggle against. Our red door meetings are outside now, easily, even before time change... and we feel supported by the environment. I think sometimes that those born into that ease crave the struggle, a cold wind in their faces... for contrast. But you are a "different bird" and your perspective and insights benefit from variety, and adventure. Your sharing of that gives us all pause, admiration, and the pleasure of your adventurous company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am happy to remind of sliding down an icy slope in your early years, and "flying" away from icy slopes to the land of fruit and nuts, where you "discovered" Santa Barbara and Pasadena. I feel like an oil painting on which you are about to sputter poetry. Happy you found clemency there, and find it an odd choice of words. Anyway, I am happy you now have less to struggle against, while I have more, self-inflicted struggle against clod things like icy slopes. Maybe it is, as you say, because i was born into the ease of Pasadena and look for cold and wind. Happy you can join me in the cold.

      Delete
  4. Your bridge, Sharon, reminds me of a road in Ohio called the Highway to Heaven, because so many people ended up there after driving on that road...can't help but wonder about the sky bridge pictured.... how on earth did you ride your bike up that slope? Come home safely, Liz

    ReplyDelete