Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley
Click on this map to open Michael Angerman's detailed map showing my current location. There, you can pan and zoom.. Thanks Michael

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Back in the Saddle



One of the many bike trails in
The Woodlands
House in The Woodlands, Texas
Home of friends and good times
I stayed with friends for three nights in their lovely home in forest.  The Woodlands has almost as much mileage in bicycle trails as it does in streets; they meander among trees and lead to all the schools and shopping areas, connect to all the residential tracts.  My friends set me back on the bicycle almost as soon as I arrived, toured me about their community.  The rides were too lovely to complain about, even though I’d looked forward to time off the bike.  It was a good visit, and now I am back on the road, rode to Navasota today. 





Texas Bluebonnet

Texas Bluebonnet
The last three days have been the warmest by far.  Fifty or sixty degrees in the morning, eighties by mid-afternoon.  This evening I write with the air conditioner on.  The warmth has awakened wildflowers.  They spring up in profusion along highways, in fields, not asking if they may.  Soon, mosquitoes will join them, not asking either.  













Even turtles and buzzards seem happy with the poetic notion of spring.  They think about warming their backs in the sun and of mating.  They look with interest at the strange creature stopped along the road to look at them.  













Evening Primrose
I began this trip in winter, thinking that somewhere in mid-southern America I would encounter spring.  It has happened, and I no longer anticipate cold. 

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Sharon, and happy that you had a little change and as if in response... Spring answered. I hope the rest of the trip is easier. And the mosquitoes don't notice you. You are in "my territory" now... say hello to the "Kathabela tree" for me... wear 3 lacy dresses. I advise against pregnancy at this point but I am sure you know where the brake is. So I won't worry. Love the birds and blooms and looking forward to your reports on life near College Station... my (and Shakespeare's and all the modernpoets) old home town...xoxox Kathabela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very funny. And I do know where the brake is. I am about 20 miles from a pregnant pre-Kathabela. The roots must be beautiful to grow the colorful dresses of spring, frilly small leaves on trees and bushes, brighter green of grass, pine pollen--yellow, a dusting on anything that doesn't keep moving.

      Delete
  2. Maybe it's been too long since I've dated but that vulture looks rather handsome. I'm glad you had a spring brake. The house looks GORGEOUS. Reminds me a bit of Lyme Regis in southern England. Stay warm, stay cool are you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He may have a few habits and a chick in Houston, but if his words rest easy on my mind, then . . . .

      Delete
  3. Vernal equinox
    Another side of
    The door which knocks
    Roads open wide

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and Spring came to the hill country of Texas right on the equinox it seems.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sharon, Pretty Texas Bluebonnet! M.

    ReplyDelete