Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley
Click on this map to open Michael Angerman's detailed map showing my current location. There, you can pan and zoom.. Thanks Michael

Monday, March 25, 2013

The Small Towns of Middle Texas



Wimberley
Bastrop
I have left the lowlands around Houston, and moved deep into the hillcountry of middle Texas, into its heart if you will.  Hills have become longer and steeper; elevations have risen from around three-hundred feet near Houston to thirteen hundred at Blanco where I write this. 









Juniper tree


The longleaf pines that I followed from the coast of Florida have given way to juniper, but the live oaks have come with me all the way and go on living. 















San Marcos Rever in San Marcos


Rivers that ran muddy in the lowlands, flow clear now; I look six feet or more into their waving watergrass.  












Caldwell County Courthouse in Lockhart
Hays County Courthouse, San Marcos



Most of the towns are also county seats, each with a large courthouse presiding over the town and countryside like a medieval castle.













Blanco County Courthouse at Blanco



Counties will get bigger as I travel west and towns farther spaced on the way to El Paso.











To see a map showing the places I have slept, go to http://goo.gl/maps/e2fS5 .  Thanks to Michael Angerman for preparing and updating this map.  

6 comments:

  1. Writing to you from Santa Barbara, my Mom's room, visiting, I brought her a big sky blue bunny, a pizza, and made tea. Telling her about your long journey. It looks lonely right now where you are, singular trees and edifices, even the street with cars looks empty... I'm glad you can see deep into the water now, where everything is happening... I was glad to see your poems emerging. Hope to see more, and look forward to seeing you back here with us. Hoping you are happy with your adventure. It has seemed difficult but you always find the beauties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has indeed been a lonely waltz through Texas, since leaving The Woodlands and newly-made friends. Here I sit in Kerrville after a strenuous day with a cold start and steep hills. three hills were so steep I got off and walked. But the wind was kind, and Motel6 is no doubt the best chain motel, having almost everything figured out, including plumbing. Most motel owners can't seem to get a handle on plumbing fixtures. Even I can desire a big blue Easter bunny.

      Delete
  2. Really love Michael's google map! Looks like you're not that far from him now. Happy trails :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Michael has been kind to do this. And when I enter his home state of New Mexico, he will only be few hours north of me by car.

      Delete
  3. I just had the chance to read through your blogs here in the comfort of my cozy mountain cabin, enjoying my comfort and sending you wishes of the same. I always love your pictorial journal along with your poetic expressions. Thank you for sharing your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Junnie, I am happy that you read all the way back to here, and for your good wishes. It will be nice having you along to ride vicariously.

    ReplyDelete