Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley
Click on this map to open Michael Angerman's detailed map showing my current location. There, you can pan and zoom.. Thanks Michael

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Land of Rice and Crawfish



After four days in Cajun Country, I have emerged from it in the larger town of DeRidder near the Texas line.  I have to wonder how Cajun Country is different.  I heard no French spoken, was not offered crawfish etouffee, and finally asked a country storekeeper, “Does anyone salt their English with French?”

He answered in what could pass for Californian: “My parents raised me on a mix French, English, and some local words of neither.  Sometimes you still hear old folks or swamp people from back on some bayou talk it, but most of us gave it up.”

I answered, “You sound like a Californian,” then knew I’d made a mistake.  If you are visiting Louisiana, it’s best not to let on you’re from California.

“I don’t know about that,” he said. 

The towns in Cajun Country have old closed-up stores on their main streets, a water tower, a gas station/store, and railroad tracks right down the middle.  Sometimes they have a motel, and about half of them have a huge Walmart.




I rode through crawfish farms and rice fields yesterday.  Those little cans you see sticking up in the pond are crawfish traps. 









A man harvesting crawfish from his boat.  He lifts traps from the pond and pours the “mud bugs” into a can.  He keeps them alive until cooked at some restaurant or packing house.















He raises crawfish for about half of the year, then drains the pond, plants rice and floods it for a cash crop of rice.









This farmer uses a different technique.  He plants rice in the pond with his crawfish.  The crawfish eat the rice.










Red-winged blackbirds swirl in flocks of thousands like currents in a river of air. 














I met Hans from Germany pedaling east.  He camps every night someplace in the woods—a real Davy Crocket.  

6 comments:

  1. Hey Sharon. Glad you are continuing your fine tradition of meeting memorable people...Hans looks like a Road Warrior. Invite him to poetry. He probably has some good stories. Speaking of stories,I am, as always, enjoying your stories very much. Wishing nothing but clear skies for you, the wind always at your back, and interesting company along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to decipher who you are by your style. Having trouble.

      Delete
  2. I'm already starting on cooking rice and crawfish for your salon --are you here yet? More tonight after we go hear a Red Hen talk... love Kathabela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be nice. We can pretend that Cajun Country still exists, in a dream-poetic way.

      Delete
  3. You are so right about concealing your California heritage. From what a gather from my extended New Orleans family, things are very tame compared to when I was there 30 years ago. Keep the peddles to the metal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dalton. I am in Texas and will keep it going, it's a big state.

      Delete