Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley
Click on this map to open Michael Angerman's detailed map showing my current location. There, you can pan and zoom.. Thanks Michael

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Backwoods Resorts of Texas

A tree with an artist’s heart, shelters a cyclist as a mother a child





My last few postings here on the blog have quite honestly expressed a dismal attitude.  I worked hard to develop it in what I found to be the hostile heart of Texas.  Some of you hoped I was all right and that the wind would change, the hills flatten, and that I would become happy.  I have learned on this trip to live with very pleasant biking conditions, and with very difficult communities.  It’s a necessary learning if I’m not to give up.












Now in the mountains, I have left the big ranches behind and entered a backwoods where motorcyclists and tourists steer their way to resorts along rivers with canoes and lazy swimming holes.  Today, I gave up cheap motels and scruffy characters in run-down towns and checked into a resort along the Guadalupe River west of Hunt.  I confess that it’s nice to relax all afternoon, acting proper as normal tourists define it. 








I strolled along the river, paddled a canoe, and sat under a tree.  They have built a dam here for better swimming, and a water channel for bathers to slide in and to accommodate fish on their way to where fish go. 









My room looks down on the Guadalupe River where sunbathers and swimmers will frolic whenever it warms up.

7 comments:

  1. I am glad you are relaxing, looking over the River, paddling a canoe and getting this perspective. This sounds like a good thing... love and hugs to your relaxing spirit! It's also adventurous in a different way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you imply with "adventurous?" Is he the maintenance man with whom we fixed the door and the heater here?

      Delete
    2. mmm I mean thinking outside the usual lines? Experimental thinking, trying the new, even in thinking and also in sometimes in action?

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy tales of "cheap motels and scruffy characters in run-down towns." I mean, who doesn't?

    This new stop is total refinement for a bicyclist. Posh, even. I trust it doesn't soften you up in the thighs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thighs are like bricks, Steven, and the luxury will not last. Plenty of steep twisty roads lie ahead

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday on the Road! Beautiful stories and pictures - all the treasures you find along the way. Thanks for taking us along with you on this windy, wandering path through places I thought I'd never visit. Best wishes of only beautiful surprises and happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maja, It promises to be a Happy Birthday as I emerge from the rugged hilld of middle Texas and out onto the western plain.

      Delete