Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley
Click on this map to open Michael Angerman's detailed map showing my current location. There, you can pan and zoom.. Thanks Michael

Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Great Southern Forest


Every day since leaving Daytona Beach twenty-three days ago, until I crossed the Mississippi river, I have see that mainstay of rural Southern economy—the tree-farm forests of Southern Longleaf Pine.  They tell me I will see them again as I travel west into Texas. I tell you this because I did not take any pictures today, and will give a review of my experience with these pines since beginning the trip on February 15. 

Today came with a bad weather forecast—south wind at twenty miles per hour, eighty percent chance of rain.  The wind worried me more that the rain because I would pedal south.  But it was neither wind nor rain that brought a short end to an expected fifty-mile day.  A small white dog came out to bark.  It’s not unusual, and they seldom come close, have never bitten.  But this dog must have been born of illegitimate parentage.  It ran right in front of the bike.  I could not stop or swerve and hit the little dog broadside.  The next thing I remember was being sprawled out on the pavement.  The dog was gone.  I have a few bruises and scrapes, none of them serious.  The bike is not damaged.  I pedaled on into the wind and stopped early at Bunkie, settled into a motel, thankful it was not worse.  And that is why you are seeing trees.



Longleaf pine is one of a group of species called Yellow Pine, native to the southeastern United States, along the coastal plain from eastern Texas to southeast Virginia, including northern and central Florida.  Foresters like to call it Pinus palustris because they know so much about it.  







The first stage in a new crop of longleaf pines is planting from nursery stock.  They look like whisk brooms both before and after planting.  The root is much fatter than most pine seedling roots. 
















In a year or two they start to look like we expect a pine tree to look.












Now they are adolescents at about eight feet tall.
















They don’t know their fate, so they come to middle age, full of hope, reaching for the sun, competing in the world of pine business.
















I looked down on their foliage from a bridge where they were vacationing along a river.









Now they are fifty feet tall and quite mature.  The saw is not far in their future.








Few of them get this big.  It’s time to set fire in the woods to get rid of underbrush in preparation for logging.















Then the saw.  These logs are not Longleaf Pine, but they show the final step from forest to sawmill or paper-and-chip mill. 

8 comments:

  1. Sigh, so glad you are alright. What a jolting situation, at least, even if not badly damaging. I hope you can rest and recuperate, continuing to muse on the processes of life and life spans and the twists and turns of your friends in the forest, so innocent to what lies ahead and outside of them as a threat. Your thoughtful tree-full post is nourishing and thoughtful, a good dose for us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have rested since arriving in Bunkie at noon. It is still raining hard, but morning is supposed to be good, except for light headwind. So you got as good dose of tree talk. well it's been brewing since I began. Really, the pines are a big deal in the South.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sharon,
    Your journey sounds like one- life experience- especially because I know you mad it 1.5 times already...
    I am following you bloge and really happy to see you "on the road again"
    keep paddling toward us- the boring people with steady jobs in offices...

    Amir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amir, happy to see you in my rear-view mirror. You are not "the boring people" but rather the ones who keep paddling. Yes, every pedal is closer home.

      Delete
  3. it would have been a hectic day on the water as well, but given the right sailboat, it would be a blast. I would say a boat of 25 feet, full (maybe 1 reef)main, and 110 might have gotten you to Texas by nightfall.

    Hope you're not stiff in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be rough sailing over the cropland and pine forests, but the many lakes would be fine going.

      Delete
  4. So sorry about the white ghost but thankful you are alright! Maybe he belonged to that crotchety hotel owner! Lovely views and thoughts of the trees. It is sad to saw their fate though sometimes I think it would be more humane for humanes to be cut at their prime rather than feel the blade of old age. (Speaking personally). Bon bon voyage for the days ahead. Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the dogs that behave counter to expectation that keep us young and in our prime. The saw comes soon enough, probably sooner for me because I move with greater risk. I wont use the saw in myself, but we might be saying the same thing.

      Delete