Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley
Click on this map to open Michael Angerman's detailed map showing my current location. There, you can pan and zoom.. Thanks Michael

Friday, March 22, 2013

What a Difference a wind Makes

A fine country road,
traveled in the morning with moderate wind


I proclaimed that spring had come to the hill country of Texas.  That was day before yesterday.  The evening forecast proclaimed a similar day for my seventy-mile ride from Navasota to La Grange in a southwesterly direction.  I took a quick look at weather.com in the morning before packing the computer and nearly fell off the chair!  The predicted wind had changed from east to south and would rise to 20mph by noon.  La Grange would be impossible to reach against that much headwind.







Burton Café,
a good lunch as the wind rose
Country store at Independence,
the first coffee-stop after 23 miles
I quickly studied maps and looked for a town in a westerly direction so that wind, though strong, would push on my left side and not slow my speed to some five miles per hour.  I knew that a 20mph wind from the left is dangerous on roads without wide shoulders because the bike often swerves in its gusts.  Passing trucks create a vacuum that can pull me into the traffic lane.  I needed a road with a wide shoulder as cushion against potential mishaps in strong left-side wind.  It must be a westbound road leading to a town with a motel in less than seventy miles. 






 Lee County Courthouse in Giddings
1898

I found the town of Giddings.  I could travel southwesterly and make Burton by noon, then head west on a road with a wide shoulder to Giddings for a total of sixty-three miles. 

I started a difficult, windy ride.  The first leg to Burton was along minor country roads, pushing against wind, but not too strong.  After a good lunch in Burton, I was on a major highway with a wide shoulder, leaning against strong wind on my left side, just as the forecast said.









Texas longhorn cow and calf




I have described one day in a planning process that has been as common in its changes as the straightforward days have been, when I followed my original maps and notes.  I don’t know how it will work in west Texas where roads are far-spaced and alternatives few. 

6 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a day you had, glad you were able to find a way. Little did I know how right I was last night when I said you could be sitting on the A&M campus, meditating instead of cycling on! Probably walking would be easier, as I said, except for finding sidewalks might be harder than finding wide shoulders. You went a long way in that wind. I can imagine you very tired last night... sent to sleep tireder than a hobgoblin! You always find the good things on the way ... the good cafe, the cows and calves and courthouses... so thanks for sharing both the difficulties and the little pleasures. It's quite the task you have set out for yourself. Is it May that your natural arrival will be? Look forward to your program on arrival! We will be gone April 15-26 but will be writing to you from Chicago and Auburn. Hope your travels today are easier, and with many delights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to check wind speed and direction before you travel and watch for truck vacuum as they pass you. We may arrive home about the same time.

      Delete
  2. Dear Sharon, I love the photos in this set - especially the Longhorn cows and your bike up against the post at the cafe - like your got off the horse and tide her there! Good luck running on rubber... Mary T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary, it is like tying your horse to a hitching rail after a long dusty ride through the grickle grass.

      Delete
  3. sounds like tacking through Texas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly, that's what I was doing--striving for a destination by using the wind with some fancy turn-abouts.

      Delete