Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley
Click on this map to open Michael Angerman's detailed map showing my current location. There, you can pan and zoom.. Thanks Michael

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Water and Fire


The gulf coast of Alabama and Mississippi is a maze of rivers, bayous, bays and swamps.  People live beside water, in high rise condos above water, and some of them live on the water. 









Birds and tees live beside and above water, in water, and sometimes with their roots submerged.




Not far inland from the bays and bayous, the pine forest burns in preparation for logging.  It’s a controlled burn to remove underbrush and make harvesting easier.  














Not many years ago, a lookout sat in this fire tower, watching for lightning-set fires.  Today, it stands idle while foresters set fires. 








I traveled some quiet country roads in Alabama and Mississippi, and today I cross into Louisiana where I stay in Bogalusa.







To see a map showing the places I have slept, go to http://goo.gl/maps/e2fS5 .  Thanks to Michael Angerman for preparing and updating this map.  He plans to keep it current, based on information he gleans here on the blog.

6 comments:

  1. Bon swa and swinn-twa! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening, Steven. Yes, I will enter Cajun country in a few days and expect to hear s lot of French. What language do they speak in Palo Alto?

      Delete
  2. Hello dear Sharon, in my easy life, compared to yours... I was reading your blog post as I walked home from Comets in Unusual Places lecture in Mudd, where you would be if you were not so busy with the real thing. So now I'm sipping wine and answering you... You see more of Steven than we do, by the way... so your attractive meanderings are serving a worthy purpose for me too... if only the blog was more directly interactive, we could have him sing and play for us. Glad you made it to Louisiana. Every time you say where you are, I picture one of my white labeled envelopes from our cross-country travels... I used to put pressed wildflowers of each State we crossed in them. I can even see some of the flowers pressed in my mind... but where are they now. I don't know ... you will have to get some new ones... Miss you, and hope you are a happy traveler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many wildflowers in the winter in the deep south. Frost on the window two days ago. very cold for this time year they say. But today was nice. I wish the wind was nice too, but I trudge on anyway.

      Delete
  3. I love all your photos. The red flowers look like a bunch of butterflies resting. And my favorite is the last one. I always appreciate a road ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keiko, there are very few flowers, probably because it is winter and colder than usual for this time of year; frost is not uncommon. So I take pictures of the few flowers I see; these are high up in a tree; I zoomed in.

      Delete