Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley
Click on this map to open Michael Angerman's detailed map showing my current location. There, you can pan and zoom.. Thanks Michael

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

From Feudal Times


I pedaled up hills today in central Louisiana and coasted down slopes that originally bristled with wild forest.  That was before people came from Europe with an uncomplicated ambition.  They would leave the world a little better for their passage, and their notion of how to better it was to develop it for human use by cutting all the trees.  It is odd to imagine a future that is already long past.  I was passing through logged land once stripped of every marketable tree, and saw where most of it is being managed for wood production with sustained-yield forestry.  Here at the paper mill in Bogalusa is where most of the logs that passed me on the road are converted into the paper I write about them on.  






Bicycling today was a quiet soulful endurance, past simple houses, old collapsing houses, trailers—dwellings of simple people as I was in Tennessee those many years ago. 








Louisiana Castle


As in feudal times, a few people in Louisiana live better than the ninety-nine percent.












I rode into Franklinton and had to stop to find out about all these cars parked in lines with people milling about.  A traffic director told me that the first Wednesday of every month is “food bank” day.  About two hundred cars were waiting for free food, some of them had waited seven hours.  “Do they work in the forest industry?” I asked, having pedaled through miles of tree farms and logging operations.  “No,” he said, “There is virtually no industry in Franklinton.” 

7 comments:

  1. Uncomplicated ambition! How elegantly you describe the most mundane things. I do so enjoy the way you put your words together and enjoy every installment. Looks like the weather is improving. See ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather was good today, all except for the temperature. I began riding before daylight because I had 90 miles to cover to St. Francisville, La. The air was 36 degrees, just it was forecast. But an hour into the ride it dropped to 30 degrees, and that's about as low as I can go when riding a bicycle.

      Delete
  2. Sharon,

    200 cars are waiting for a box of free food? Behind the line of those cars, I see modern looking houses. Hmm. I wonder how those community members feel about the line especially during their meals. Also, I wonder how many gallons of gas those 200 cars spent for their round-trip travel to the Food Bank. If they can't afford food, how can they afford car, gas, insurance and so on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have answers to your good questions. One reason I call this day "From Feudal Times" is that I see a wide gap between the poor and regular people, like us. It seems unfair, but at least they can get free food once a month, at the cost of driving to the food bank. But I suppose that's the only way they can get the food home.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Sharon, to go to the place I might not ever be able to go. I enjoy looking at all of your pictures. They are magical.

      Delete
  3. ah Sharon... I tried to write last night... and wrote a paragraph and somehow it all disappeared.. being sleepy... I could not revive my thoughts! I felt fortunate at the same time to have just called you, and enjoyed our conversations and feeling closer to your adventure that way, you must be very tired after all the miles and cold... probably asleep now...but whenever you see this, know that I am thinking of you! Hope a restful time now will rejuvenate. We'll be especially thinking of you at the Red Door tomorrow. Hope the weather warms up and that is the last long ride like that on the journey. Sending love from us all and hopefully we can talk again soon! After all... you Are in the same country even though there are
    such differences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, It was a long day, but we are still in the same country, on the top side of it. happy for that.

      Delete