Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley
Click on this map to open Michael Angerman's detailed map showing my current location. There, you can pan and zoom.. Thanks Michael

Sunday, March 3, 2013

To Heaven and Back




I headed north from Dauphin Island, Alabama, this morning, following many souls on the road to Heaven.  I came to the island yesterday by ferry when I was a day younger and left with high hopes, far above the dark water of Mobil Bay.  For a hard struggle uphill, and into the wind, I hopefully traveled skyward and beyond.











But I came plunging down from that false hope into the town of Bayou La Batre, its French name foretelling my soon entry into Cajun Country.  And there I met two bikers from Switzerland heading east.















I  passed these shrimp boats tied up because it is Sunday.  And when the churches let out around noon, the roads were jammed.











After Bayou La Batre, I saw this sign, not so uncommon with its dual message, not at all unacceptable in the Bible Belt.













I left Alabama today, the day after I entered it, and rest this evening in Pascagoula, Mississippi. 

4 comments:

  1. Your bike improves the look of every state... not only their welcome signs. Hope you have a good rest and feel encouraged as the wind dies down... you are in strange territory... but I am sure your presence makes the world there better. Smiles from the poetry world... one thing I remember about our cross country trips is we went so fast... maybe lured by the end point (really unknown then) --you at least have home, and you can't really go TOO fast. I felt like everything was like a billboard and the depth missing... wishing I could feel it more. But then in Teax we stayed longer. Long enough to have a baby and study Shakespeare and Modern Poetry at Texas A&M... what did I know from all that? I think I learned the smiles of strangers who are friends, that I could connect with and feel the warmth, were scattered everywhere. No matter how strange a land, there is a strand of helpfulness and friendship that can be traced in the people who see who you are, and identify. It's the best of any world, both here and there. Happy to see some smiles ... hoping you have one now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is surely a place of courtesy to strangers here in the South. The speak to me in the market, in the cafe, from the side of the road as I ride by. I talked with about six strangers today. and I met the Dutch couple again and rode with them for an hour. Tomorrow we expect tp meet again.

      Today, the wind was on my back like a masseur gently working out the kinks from yesterday.

      Tonight, I am in Wiggins, Mississippi, where no internet is in the room. I write this from the motel lobby.

      Tomorrow, the wind is expected to be from the southwest and very strong. I promises to be a hard day.

      Delete
  2. Weather looks much better. Tell us if you see Forrest Gump, or any of his boats "Jenny".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not meet Forest Gump, but as rich as he got, he and Jenny might be living aboard one of those big shrimp boats you see in the picture.

      Delete