Sharon Hawley

Sharon Hawley
Click on this map to open Michael Angerman's detailed map showing my current location. There, you can pan and zoom.. Thanks Michael

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Hilly Sparse Heart of Texas

Blanco River before sunrise
Blanco, Texas

Morning begins at freezing
unseasonably unwarm
asking for clothes I don’t have

hills steeper than yesterday
steeper than ever
so steep that three
yes there, I had to walk
thanks to them I kept warm
except for hurting fingernails
and numb toes  






but the wind was kind
the sky presented no fear
and cars scared other bikers
other places 















a neighborhood of ranches
locked gates
about a mile apart
I suppose therefore
each has some six-hundred acres
high goat fences, cattle, wild deer










forty miles til I found a café
the Double D in Comfort
and comfort it was
this shack’s food was excellent
did I ask for a box?
leave some and ride on?
or did I eat it all?
you tell me
forty miles of hills and cold
forty miles of hills and cold  





then twenty more to Kerrville
and on the way I met her
rather her white ghost
leaning on a fence
plastic flowers mark the end
was she careless? drunk?
I imagine a line to its source
pickup truck Texan stopped to pick up a girl?
Texas, where the rules aren’t always clear
as Mama would say, things took a turn.
I love her like my own.  









my DNA specially venturesome
specially sick
casts its own monument to loneness 














Holiday Creek east of Comfort, Texas


cypress giants hog the water
in a thorny land
immense, sturdy, hard
like I am becoming  


6 comments:

  1. Eeeek Sharon, you know what Liz would say... but she is probably to busy to say it...

    Feeling for you, and sending love and care as much as possible from so far away to such a cold hard world. The immensity, distances, spare comforts... I hope you are alright.

    love from Kathabela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel all right, in the way that many long endeavors of my long life have seemed all right when I remained in them for a long time. Some in hindsight were not all right.

      Delete
  2. Ooo, my! Just look at the big cypress toes! Don't step on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may be jolly and green, but no giant am I.

      Delete
  3. That is a very interesting and true comment Sharon, about hindsight. And how things seem "alright" while you are in them a long time... then looking back you see they were not. I certainly know that feeling VERY well from my own life. It is very hard to distinguish while you are in the midst. Our strong nature, hopeful attitude, persistence, diligence, all these are good qualities in many situations and even save us. But it is not true of all, as you imply... and still it is hard to know the difference I think. At least we have survived the ones that were not right... to date! Smiles and love to your adventurous spirit.~k~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "and even save us" - Fighting against a hill, pedaling faster to reach the top sooner, becoming exhausted--it leads to failure and giving up. Steady plodding--that's the way.

      Delete